Getting knocked down

I am sure you have all heard the song called, “Hard Knock Life” and my favorite version is the one by rapper Jay-Z. He basically spends the whole time talking about how he went from the ‘bottom to the top’. How he went from ‘lukewarm to hot’, and how no one appreciated him until he released his second album.

Jay-Z is a good example of someone who has experienced defeat many times (or that’s what he says in his songs) and kept getting up. You fall down 11 times you get up 12, no matter how many times you lose or get knocked down you need to rise up again. I know sometimes it gets hard and you just don’t have the energy too, but think of how much worse off you will be if you just lay down.. (and die)

Another good song is by Chumbawumba, “Tubthumpin”. (ok well the chorus is preaching the same message) The whole song is basically the chorus as there is virtually no verses. But the chorus says, “I get knocked down but I get up again, no you’re never going to keep me down.” And then just goes ahead and repeats that 20+ times. This song is talking about getting knocked down again and that no matter how many times you, someone else or the world knocks them down, they will always get back up again.

I think people need more of this attitude in them. I think people need to dwell more on the good times, not saying we should forget about all the mistakes and stupid things that we do or happen to us, but more that we need to be persistent. Good things will never happen to us if we decide to quit the race or bail out of the journey early.

You are going to have your good days and bad days, but without the bad days we wouldn’t really realize the good days or they wouldn’t feel that good to us. So on those days when you are feeling down and out, do the following:

-Get up
-Be persistent
-Don’t dwell on any ‘one thing’ for too long
-Learn from where you are at that moment, then forget about it.
-And lastly be Awesome! We all are…

Too many random thoughts for early in the morning. Haha. This is what happens to you in the morning when you hear Jay-Z on your I-Tunes library.

14 comments:

  1. Jay Z is the best rapper alive.

    And I agree with your post. ;)

     
  2. You're right. I'll leave it at that. :)

    Thanks for the inspiration and here's to always getting up again!

     
  3. @ nicki sunny : I agree that he is a good rapper and I have always liked him alot, partly because I understand him and I get what he is trying to say. :)

    @ Steph : I know, cheers to always getting up! Even if you think you can't and you are alone, you have to.

    Like Nike, "Just do it"

     
  4. Chumawamba was referring to the art of binge drinking, and pissing the night away.

     
  5. @ gust : Duuuude, don't take it so literal. :P I know that it's about heavy drinking, but I am saying that he still kept repeating that line, which is what Iliked.

    "I get knocked down but I get up again.. no you're never going to keep me down"

    Take that line out and forget the song.. haha. :D

     
  6. "@ nicki sunny : I agree that he is a good rapper and I have always liked him alot, partly because I understand him and I get what he is trying to say."


    @Bamer: Exactly.. some people will debate all day about Tupac or Nas or Biggie being better, but they always lost me in the lyrics.

     
  7. @ nicki : That is exactly how I feel. Some of their songs are cool, when they slow them down a bit and take out the swearing, etc.

    But I was always able to understand Jay-Z which made him more appealing, plus he is 'old skool' you know?

     
  8. I got your point... I just wanted to dispense more knowledge about that song. I just find it funny that in the context of that song, it's really only about not getting completely beat up in a bar fight and seeing how many more lagers can be chugged. Everyone has different goals. :D

    It was a really good team-pump up song. I remember getting stoked to that song for Nordic Ski meets, Lacrosse games, Speech meets, etc.

     
  9. @ Gust: Really? You used that for a pump up song? I used ozzy or metallica.. or something like that.. :)

    And I actually listen to classical to get myself 'ready' as well.. (I am a nerd)

     
  10. Oh yeah, that song was usually on our team "Mix CDs"... right along with "Cowboys from Hell" (my favorite)

     
  11. Bamer

    Are you up on "you don't know" by Jay? Blueprint album.

    That song makes me feel infinetely powerful. Like for real. Like deep in your soul for real. I listen to it before everytime I go do something big. AWESOME!

     
  12. @ A.I. : I will check it out.. I am back in the states this weekend.

     
  13. PS: When you talk about the Jay-Z in your iTunes library, that wouldn't have happened to have been a tune that I stuck on there, was it? haha

     
  14. @ Gust : The radio biznatch.. haha.. thats where I heard it. :P