Story Telling

I used to love to listen to stories as a kid, sitting there on the edge of the bed and waiting for dad to come in to tell me a story. It didn't matter if it was about castles and kings, or if it was about his day at work and what he had done. In fact sometimes he came in and read moby dick to me, and even though I couldn't much understand it, I was content.


I start to wonder why I was content and what it was that made me so happy at a young age, even when I didn't understand half of my dad's stories in their entirety. Even now when I think about the tales of moby dick and cap'n Ahab, I get a little smile because they bring me back to when I was a kid again. And this made me start to think about why I liked the stories so much? And that's when it occurred to me that I didn't necessarily like the stories at all, but rather the story teller.

The story teller in this case was my dad, and it didn't really matter what he was sayin' or what part of the story he was talking about, but it was important that he was taking the time out at all to tell me one. And not only that, but he would tell the stories with vivid emotion and noticeably high differences in voice tone. He cared, and he was going to try and make me get 'into' his story, regardless of all the big words in that book which stretched far beyond my years at that time.

This act of telling a story, by my dad, would serve a far better purpose than only to entertain me at a young age before bedtime. I now know that it served a purpose to show me how to story tell and how use your hands, facial expressions and voice to get across your meaning in an extremely interesting way. It showed me that you need to believe in what you are saying, and to believe in yourself to best get your information across to your listener. Even if your listener is a 6 year old boy.

This lesson would be something that I have found is far more valuable now then I ever realized when I was 6 years old. I need to tell multiple stories to multiple people everyday, and because I had a great teacher, I can now myself tell great stories. Being a good story teller can help you in so many ways. Getting your point across has never been easier, and to be honest, telling stories is a lot of fun. I think I actually get more joy out of telling a story than the person listening to me that is laughing away.

You will come across many people in your life and you will find yourself in many situations where you will be listening to stories or telling them. These people will have interesting and unique stories to tell and you will learn and gain a lot from. And in this same time you will have many stories to tell as well and you will want to give your listeners the most information in the best possible way. So why not become a good story teller? Do your audience and friends along the way a favor and practice your story telling. You will be able to have that much more of an effect on your listeners and they will be greatly appreciative as well.

*raises glass of juice*

Here's to the story teller in you...

9 comments:

  1. Hmm, good point about it being the story-teller. I used to LOVE listening to American Top 40 with Casey Kasem. I stopped listening to the show when Ryan Seacrest took over. It's all about the host, and Casey Kasem is a legendary radio host.

    A good story helps, though. :)

     
  2. A good story teller is something that is invaluable IMO.

    This is the person who can sell ice to an inuit. This is the person who can make anyone laugh. And this is the perosn who will go far in life. . .

     
  3. Oh, yes, being a good storyteller is an incredible talent to have.

    As a fiction writer I have always coveted this talent. Many of the best stories are not the best because of their plot lines or their amazing revelations - they are the best because of the way they are told.

    The words chosen, the passion infused, the enthusiasm of the teller... all of these make the story worth listening to, even if, after the end of it, you realise you've just heard what was on someone's shopping list.

    You are one of these people, Bamer. You have the charisma and personality to make your shopping list interesting. You could undoubtedly sell ice to the inuits... ;) You'll be very successful because of it!

    And I'm glad your Dad read you stories. Totally made me smile to think about little-you waiting excitedly for your story. :)

    My parents never read me stories, I had to make up my own. Now you see why my head is always in the clouds. ;)

     
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.  
  5. "And this is the perosn who will go far in life. . ."Or, they are the bullshitters no one likes because they carry it too far. Sadly enough, I dated a girl who was so full of these stories about herself -- which I foolishly believed. And when I met someone who knew her too, let's just say that the shit hit the fan when the truth came out...

    Therefore, I submit that the storytellers who will go furthest are the ones who are the most in-tune with reality. (IE: Walt Disney ;) )

     
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.  
  7. The comments today are funny.. thats for sure.... :S

     
  8. Great post Bamer!

    I remember my dad and mama telling stories too (more like reading them though. ) lol

     
  9. Thanks Nicki. :P