The Metro

Two definitions of a Metro below. Both are quite different, I even think one was written by a metro? Check it out.


1) me·tro·sex·ual [ mèttrō sékshoo əl ] (plural me·tro·sex·uals)

Definition: young straight stylish urban man: a young, straight, sensitive urban man who is unashamed to enjoy good clothes, stylish living, the art of decorating, and improving his personal appearance ( informal ) [mid-20th century.]
2) Definition: A metro sexual is a man who is meticulous about his appearance. He is always in fashion and very well groomed. Some people mistake a metro sexual for a gay guy.


Above are two definitions for the same 'type' of guy. One dictionary depicts it as a guy that is looking to where good clothes and be well groomed. Well what the fuck, that means that I am a metro as well then? I find this definition to have many holes in which doesn't create a very good stance of which to logical have an argument about what is or what isn't because most men would argue that they fit those above points, no?
And the second definition talks about a fashionable, well groomed man that people think is gay. So what are you trying to tell me here, that if I like to look good and care about my clothes that I am a metro and most likely the majority of people peg my sexuality as being homo-istic? Give me a break.

To me both of these definitions are quite problematic, and raise the question of "what is really a metro sexual?" Perhaps you can think of a better definition? Maybe if you change the words of the first definition and add 'in excess' to it, then I could see that one being a bit more correct and having less problems.

Either way, this isn't the point to my random thoughts. Which were brought up when I read a blog about douche bags today from a friend, but that's a whole other topic for another day. :) Today we will keep it on metros and not on the d-bags.

What I wanted to talk about was how there seems to be more and more metros out there nowadays. I see more males with better looking outfits than the women then ever before. I see males with more 'bling' (rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc) then I had previously in the last 3 years combined. These guys must spend at least 2 hours in the mirror before they are ready to go out?

And these metros are getting help from the stores, it's not like they are hand making these $300 dollar jeans by themselves. They go out and buy them at designer shops that pride themselves and making guys look like models/accessory magnets/girls, etc. These stores can price their shirts so high because they know that the metros have money and will dish it out willingly in order to get that shirt with pink strips and a picture of Alice in wonderland on the front. Is that actually fashionable or bit too metro, 'too' meaning a bit on the gay looking side like the second definition above explains? I don't know, you be the judge?

Metro sexuals have lots of money normally, that's how they can afford their expensive shopping habits and their massive amounts of hair gel, not too mention their affection for the most expensive shoes. (Move over girls, your shoe collection my not be the biggest anymore..)

Other guys are out spending money on beer while these metros buy green vodka-red bulls. They smoke cigarettes in an almost 'sexual' way, and you will constantly see them disappear into the restroom to see if their hair still looks good.. AS if the 10kgs of hair gel would let it move?

There is a big plus though in being a metro. You definitely don't have a shortage of girls around, especially the dumb ones that can be persuaded by money easily and eat up your bullshit like its a 4-course meal. You will always see them with other metros as typical guys can't normally handle more than one in their group. (Because for sure he will steal all the girls with his half buttoned shirt and tight jeans, I suppose dropping money like it grows on trees helps?)

Let me know if you notice an ever growing population of metros? I see this in Europe, Switzerland, America, almost everywhere I have been. I am not writing this to say I don't like them but rather that I see more and more of them. It's almost like they multiple right in front of my eyes..

Anyways, check out and see if the next guy that orders a vodka red bull is a metro, chances are he is. And if he doesn't look like it, he probably is a wannabe.. (He just needs a bit of encouragement)

Good night from Switzerland...

Bamer-

5 comments:

  1. It's true, metros are everywhere these days! These are guys who spend longer on their hair than I do. I know a couple of guys who actually use hair straightners on their inch long hair to make their spikes more spikey. ;)

    I would have to say that I don't think the definition of a metro is merely 'a well-dressed guy' any longer. It's something more than that. It's the aforementioned guys who use straightning irons on their quiffs and get manicures, spend ridiculous amounts on clothes, check their appearance in any passing reflective surface, and act and appear somewhat vain.

    In general, I think, all guys are better dressed than they were a decade ago, so there is nothing wrong, per se, with being metro. But it can become unattractive when taken to extremes! I don't consider myself a high-maintenance girl - I do not want to go out with a high-maintenance guy!

    Well-dressed is one thing, high maintenance metro is completely another.

    For what it's worth, Bamer, I don't consider you a metro. Well-dressed casual, yes, metro, no. That shouldn't change as long as you stay away from my straightning iron. ;)

     
  2. I love METROsexual men, by definition.. I hate the fact that they've put a term on it. I feel like it's given men a complex about being too much, when to me, too much is good. Men don't want to be confused with being homosexual so I think they get self conscious.

     
  3. I don't think they have a lot of money. Most that I've known don't make much at all, their fancy lifestyles really are paid on the credit card. It's completely unsustainable.

    There's nothing wrong about caring for your appearance -- to a point. When you start putting priority on how you look in the mirror over relationships, God, personal finances, etc, then there is a HUGE problem.

     
  4. Haha this was hilarious.

    Those definitions do nothing to clear up the question of what is and what is not metro for me either. Perhaps most annoying is the use of words like 'the sensitive urban man' and 'unashamed', does this mean to suggest that only a metro can be sensitive, or that only an urban man can be urban? Shamefulness is also a factor in applying the metro label?

    Using the term gay to aid in the definition of metro also doesn't make sense to me. Can a gay guy be metro? Are all gay guys metro?

    For me metro is a word that describes people who place a significantly large emphasis on their physical appearance. Not just in the sense of what they do for their appearance (ie. straighteners, surgeries, fake tans, too many jewels) but also the value they place on the physical appearance of other people. I think it's a borderline social illness in which one attempts to define oneself or give oneself value through a mostly physical analysis. Some people like to get their hair done, some like to tan, some wear makeup etc but don't necessarily fit under high maintenance or metro....I think the psychological grounds and personality behind the maintenance and upkeep of oneself are the determining factors of what is and what is not metro... as opposed to the actual physical maintaining that's done.

    In my understanding of the term you are clearly not metro my friend. Although I would laugh my ass of if you threw on the outfit in that picture and walked the streets, I hope I'd be around to see it!

     
  5. Glad I am not metro.. haha, thanks. :)