A simple word

A simple word that so many people on this earth forget. It's a word that means alot and people sometimes only need to hear it. I think the world would actually be a heckava lot better if it was used more, and that word is "Thanks."


We do things for others all the time, and other people do tasks and little things for us as well, but we need to remember to say thank-you to these people. It's so simple and it's so easy to say it, and more often than not it's the only thing that your friends or family want to hear after doing something for you.

So why, may I ask, do we forget to say it?

I don't know? Sometimes I think it slips our minds and we are in a rush and have 15 other things going on at the same time, but for whatever reason, we forget it. This is a horse shjt reason, but you see what this can start if you do forget? The person ALWAYS remembers that you didn't say 'thanks' or that you didn't seem grateful for the thing that you accomplished for them. And that's a big problem. It's a downward spiral. Maybe after the first time they let it slip, maybe even a few times they continue to help you when you need it, but eventually they will realize that you 'take them for granite' and they will dispose of you or move on, or even worse, simply stop doing anything for you and stop being someone you can rely on. (meaning you simply lose something solid to stand on that you had obviously become a bit dependent on at times.)

And this all started from one little word, one tiny phrase which carries enormous weight when you look at it from the side of what happens when you DON'T say it.

So say it more often than not. Say it 3 or 4 times when someone does something for you. It's better to say it too many times, (even though I think that's impossible) than to say it, not enough times. The people around you need to know that you appreciate them and everything they have done for you. All the time sacrificed or money spent, etc. So let them know.. They will be happy to hear it.

I promise.
[end rant]

13 comments:

  1. I agree... I'm very good with the thank you word. once I noticed how many times I say it to the waiter/waitress when I'm out to eat...

    Thank you, when we are seated, when they take the order, when they bring the food, if they fill the drinks. lol. I wonder if they ever get tired of hearing it.

     
  2. I don't think it's a word that can get over used when used in the right context. I believe it can really only be used for a good purpose.

    So with that in mind I think that it can't be over used. :)

     
  3. Absolutely, I agree with this post. And that is why I have said thanks to you so many times, Bamer. So you'd know you're appreciated.

     
  4. *blush blush*

     
  5. You're welcome.

    ;)

     
  6. Gracias, B!! it takes me back to my childhood when my grandparents forced me say "please" and "thank you" every time i have forgotten to do so. but this out-dated and courteous idea stuck on me and i take it everywhere with me, every day. it's refreshing to see someone write about the obvious, powerful truth that the gratitude improves your attitude.

     
  7. @ xxxray: Thanks for the compliment. :)

     
  8. xxxray - the thing is, it's not outdated! I firmly believe that our nation has been placing many things above the "character ethic", and we really need to get back to it. Despite pop culture's focus on the insipid, it's not outdated to be a person of strong character.

     
  9. @ gust: I agree that it's not outdated and it never should be. It's an important aspect, and it should be engrained in everyone's character...

    I mean at the end of the day its not hard to say.

     
  10. Gust:

    thank you for reading my comment.
    thank you for disagreeing with me.
    thank you.

     
  11. @ xxxray: That's kind of what he does, he is an argueing type of guy at heart.. haha, I love it. :)

     
  12. No I'm not!

     
  13. @ gust: Point, set, match.. haha